This delicious oreo ice cream sandwich cake recipe only takes around 10 minutes to prepare. Most of the work is done for by the folks who make the ice cream sandwiches and Oreo cookies! I have found that Oreo cookies are a fantastic complementary flavor to mix into ice cream sandwich. I also throw in a little vanilla extract and frozen Cool Whip to create a unique character.
Before I tried to make my first ice cream sandwich cake, I was a bit leery of how it would turn out. Until you try to make one yourself, it might be hard to imagine it being a success. However, I haven’t made one of these yet that wasn’t immediately wolfed down by my guests!
Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cartons (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping – let it thaw
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 12 ice cream sandwiches (I like Bluebell)
- 6 chopped Oreo cookies
Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Directions:
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the unsweetened cocoa powder and softened cream cheese.
- Mix in the sugar and milk slowly into a thin paste.
- Next, add in the vanilla extract.
- Beat the mixture until it is smooth. Use an electric mixer to make this easier.
- Fold in about half of one of the cartons of Cool Whip.
- Gently mix in the cookies.
- Lay a large sheet of aluminum foil on a counter top. Lay 4 ice cream sandwiches side by side on the aluminum foil.
- Spread about half of the mixture over the ice cream sandwiches.
- Add another layer of 4 ice cream sandwiches to the mix.
- Next layer on the remaining mixture and the last 4 ice cream sandwiches.
- Spread the remaining Cool Whip in a thin layer over the top of the cake.
- Pull the aluminum foil upwards around the cake to make a bowl shape.
- Place this into the freezer until it is completely frozen. This usually takes around 6 hours but can vary.
- After removing from the freezer, you should “pretty up” the cake by spreading on more whipped topping and garnishing with nuts, chocolate syrup, cookie crumbs, etc. whatever floats your boat.
- Slice serve and enjoy!